Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:
Varun Varma wrote:

This is absoultely the wrong the way. Look at:

http://www.postfix.org/rewrite.html#luser_relay

Interesting. fallback_transport seems to be the way to go. :) I should be reading up the postfix hacks more often.

Quite a postfix specific solution though. Solves the OP's problem in any case.

Umm...more of PostFix feature. That's why I choose particular MTAs in particular cases - depeding on the feature set they provide.

Varun, while you could address the OP's problem with this Postfix hack what do you do when you are not using Postfix as in this case? Take up the "absolute wrong way"? ;)

Nope. Generic solution for all MTAs: Create aliases/rewrite rules for offsite addresses. E.g., for sendmail, in /etc/aliases:

offsiteuser: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

E.g. Domain is: abc.net, create a hostname like mail.abc.net, which points to the IP[s] of the MX.

The downside of this this is that the backup MXs would not be used in case the primary is down, but there are two solutions for that:

-> Set up the DNS to return IPs for mail.abc.net same as the MXs in round robin.

-> Setup the mail.abc.net as a CNAME pointing to abc.net. That way the MX resolution for mail.abc.net would be the same as for abc.net. Never tried it and it *might* fail on some MTAs, which start looking at the DNS query reply in detail instead of accepting the returned IPs.

This approach would have the side effect to changing the envolope address to mail.abc.net for mails to offsite users that come from a particular site. Depending on how you see it, that's a feature/bug.

With Exim you can do this by setting up routers/directors/transports accordingly.

Anyone know how to do this in sendmail, without using aliases?

I hate qmail, and never looked at Courier. And, yes, I don't know how to do this with M$ Exchange.

Also, if you really need to create a local domain, I highly recommend creating it as a legitimate subdomain, e.g. delhi.abc.net - lets you use dynamic DNS, and in my opinion, looks better.

Varun Varma