On 05/11/2004 07:30 PM, Sharninder wrote:
Hi,
I was thinking of purchasing a laptop and was basically looking for something which is Linux compatible (which means that the sound card, network card and graphics atleast should work ). Has anyone used Linux on a laptop before ? What all do I need to keep in mind ? Any recommendations ?
I was looking at Dell system mostly. Google reveals mixed results by users, mostly because they are using customised system and one or two components lack support for Linux.

Hi,
I use a Dell Latitude X300 and am quite happy with it in general. I did not buy the laptop keeping in mind Linux support but other reasons so i cant really expect it work as advertised under Linux. If you are looking for a Linux compatible (there is a lot more to compatibility than just sound/network/graphics) then dont look at Dell. They are notorious for their lack of support. You should go for either HP/Compaq or IBM , look at www.tuxmobil.org for details on specific laptops.

Do the systems supporting Intel Centrino technology work on Linux ?
Hoping to get some useful inputs :)

Mine is a Centrino and some stuff works while some doesnt. Graphics is a go and is well supported. Modem , nope still trying to get that working. Sound is working. Wireless works with either a commercial wrapper (www.linuxant.com) or the ndiswrapper project at sourceforge which is what i use and WiFi is now working. ACPI is not ok and that one of the reasons why Dell is not good, they have a history of buggy BIOS and unless you want to use some of the modified DSDTs out there, look at other laptops. Lan was ok with updated broadcom drivers.

- Ankur.