On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 22:58, Raj Mathur wrote:

> [...]

[Not quoting any of the mail, because it's not necessary]

Hi, I am relatively new to the community, and not yet a year old to the
ILUGD mailing list.

I don't know who Atul Chitnis is, but I gather he is from the FOSS
community/LUG/whatever in  Bangalore.

I have not gone into finding out in great detail about FOSS.IN, though I
am very much aware of the debate between proprietary/non-proprietary,
FOSS, commercial, free software.

My post is not about any of these things. My post is to object to the
tone in which Atul presumes to address the community. As a member of the
community, I have this opinion to offer (which of course may be
completely wrong according to some people):

If this is the manner in which you talk to the rest of/part of the
community, then your event might still be a success, but the amount of
goodwill and cooperation you are able to generate will be miniscule.
Apart from the debate over issues, if you insist on showing off in such
a distasteful and condescending manner, it will not help. (On the other
hand, if this is not important to you, I apologise for the presumption).

And I resent your assumption that members of  ILUGD are so much sheep
waiting to follow whatever Raju (or any of the powers-that-be) says. I
have had great differences with all of them, am still on the mailing
list, and would like to be credited with the intellectual capacity and
objectivity of making up my own mind on whether to participate in
something or not.

The debate on FOSS.IN is quite possibly relevant. The tone in which it
is being conducted most definitely is not.

Hassath