> Because the VFS would be unhappy if mounted media suddenly disappeared
> from under it (and was potentially replaced with something different).
> That applies to all mounts, not just CDs.

But doesn't the VFS already handle such situations with USB pen drives
and to some extent with network file systems as well?

--- Abhijit's Reply ---
> But doesn't the VFS already handle such situations with USB pen drives

No. Hotplug handles such things, not the VFS, and that's a comparatively
recent development. If you could write something that generated hotplug
events when you closed or opened the CD tray, I suppose you could make
it do the right thing.

subfs takes a different approach, but has much the same effect.

Nandz
PS: Re-posting on the list as it may be relevant to some.
--
http://nandz.blogspot.com
http://foodieforlife.blogspot.com