Hi Anand,

Don't have any technical suggestions, but there seem to be some
similarities in the situation that you describe, and what we have in our
office.

We are an NGO. When we first started almost three years ago, it was
decided to have a FLOSS network- and no proprietary software.

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 08:05, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am planning to setup a large, maiden linux desktop installation in a
> Windows Centric Environment. Hard realities at ground (1) 99% users
> will be first timers, many may not have heard of it before!!

When we started, 100% users were first timers. And to this day, most new
people who join haven't heard about Linux- the poor souls at recruitment
don't know what they are in for! But at the end of the day- they all
work with Linux- and do not hanker for Windows.
> (2) Lack of trained support staff, learn by burning your hands, looks
> like to be the fact of day.

Yes, indeed, that's what happened with us also, though we do have a
great consultant. Today, we have 13 terminals runnings. We never had any
trained support staff- whatever daily support that is currently needed
is given by me- and I have learnt everything from scratch- with a lot of
heartache and pain, but only sometimes ;-). And I have NO technical
background at all. And yet, my office functions fine.Our systems are
NEVER down, and I yet have to come across any major problem thrown up by
my users which I have not been able to solve- with a little guidance
over the phone, and google, and man pages...

Hence, my experience:

- you don't have to be a geek to administer a linux network. All you
need is a willingness to learn- and hard work.

- equally important: you need a lot of patience and a rather thick skin:
one is bound to come across people who want "mera windows wala
icon"....! One has to survive them- and believe me, I have managed.
one should have one's arguments and explanations in place before you
start..

- in one sense, it is easier for people to migrate if they are given no
choice (i know it sounds autocratic, but that's what worked for us. We
did not want pirated software for legal reasons, and we couldn't afford
licensed copies. now, the general users don't even ask for windows)

- an encouraging consultant- whom you can call up and who will walk you
through your initial baby steps: that is an indispensable factor!

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Hassath