if you are trying to boot the machine without any ram and getting that
error, please correct me if i am wrong, it could be because 2.4 kernels try
to load initrd onto a ram-drive first.
what does the exact error message say when you try to boot the system with
ram?
one thing you can do is get a live disc (or use the first disc of whichever
distro you are using), get a shell from that (they all provide different
ways of getting there. some need to be passed "rescue" on the boot loader
prompt of the cd etc) and try mounting your fs there. see if everything
seems to be intact.
you can try chrooting into the root (/) fs on the hdd and exploring. if you
use lilo, try running lilo from the chroot-ed environment.
did you swap hard-drives recently? did the computer reboot by itself/power
failure? could it be that you use ext2 filesystem?

sharad birmiwal