> Hi
>
> I want to format a 80 GB External Harddisk as a backup drive to be
> accessible by both Linux and Wincedows. Is using FAT32 a good option
> (considering that having to allow access from wincedows is a necessity
> for the time being).
 think fat32 is goos option of reusability of the device across
platform i.e. windows/linux

> Secondly : are there an restrictions on how large the FAT32 partition
> can be .
>
> Thirdly will rsync work to back up from a ext3 drive to a FAT32 drive
> and how reliable will this be

> Lastly is this the right command
>
> cfdisk /media/usbdisk**
cfdisk partitions your disk. you will stilll need to format the partition.
use cfdisk this way
cfdisk /dev/*usbdiskdevicename* (this you need to obtain from dmesg as
soon as you  insert the usb usually something like sda,sdb....so on)
use
mkfs.msdos /dev/*usbpartitionnames* (usually sda1,sda5.. so on. )
one restriction about using msdos filesystem is the maximum partition
size in 30gb sorts.. ( please correct me if I'm wrong here)
-----

I suggest that since u would be using the USB drive on linux and windows, u
create the partitions using linux, while formatting the drive in FAT32 using
windows.

Reason, Windows just screws up partition table, better to use the linux
partitioning tools.

Kapil