Hey,

--- Abhay Kedia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Would thin clients work only over internet? I had an
> idea that if you make a
> Desktop PC with decent hardware then you can connect
> 3-4 (or more) thin
> clients to help a SOHO bring down the costs of
> buying new hardware and
> maintaining individual systems.

For one, thin clients have traditionally worked over a
local network, but with increasing bandwidth and
connection speeds, they can be made to work over the
internet too. Your idea is indeed correct - but how
many SOHOs actually have networked offices? Not too
many.

> Also if you have
> more than one person using
> PC at your place then wouldn't these thin clients
> work as desktops for each
> one of them as well? Do I have some wrong info or am
> I thinking on entirely
> different wavelength?

Well, it would depend on what the computer's being
used for. IF your little sister wants to play 'The
Sims' on a home computer, no way she's going to use a
Thin client. If all you have to do is word processing
and some spreadsheets, then yes, thin clients are a
good option. And if we talk specifically about home
users, they would much rather buy fully featured PCs
because of the wide variety of uses each would have.
Thats my take on it anyway - I'm sure others might
feel differently.

Viksit

--
Viksit Gaur

viksit[dot]gaur[at]yale[dot]edu
http://viksit.com

Just because you have a mind like a hammer doesn't mean you should treat
everyone else like a nail - Terry Pratchett