On Tuesday 11 September 2007 10:33, PJ wrote:
> [snip]
> Sudo, as suggest earlier, looks like the simplest way. Maybe combined
> with script and a special editor wrapper. But the original poster
> will have to examine the situation more closely to see if it is
> appropriate.

I'm still not convinced that you can give someone root without trusting
them completely.  If it were only a question of editing files, I'd say
let them edit a local copy as normal user, check it into a CVS
repository and then some task (automated or manual) could pull out from
the CVS and put the file(s) into the proper place.  Much better control
and tracking.

Or SVN, or whatever (before this thread degrades into a version control
flamefest).

Once you give someone root or sudo for any non-trivial task you are
effectively giving them root for anything.

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://kandalaya.org/