On 9/22/07, Raj Mathur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Friday 21 September 2007 12:15, Jasbir Khehra wrote:
> > [snip]
> > Therefore, is my assumption correct that to enforce GPL compilance ,
> > the complainant has to be one of the following two individuals :
> >    a) Author of a GPLed software
> >    b) End user or consumer of a product which contains GPL software.
> > And not any other third party ??
>
> As far as I know only the copyright holder of the software can file for
> a copyright violation.
Hmm , well so in that case we should have some proxy set up in India
who can on behalf of the Copyright holder  file a case, for example in
the case of Harald Welte against D-Link , Herald acted as a proxy on
behalf of the original copyright holders,
quoting from the english translation of the judgement of the case [1]
<quote>
With three contractual agreements designated "Fiduciary Licensing
Agreements", the exclusive rights to copy,to distribute, and of public
display, as well as the right to allow a third party to undertake
modifications in the programs, were transferred for three software
programs to Plaintiff: Mr. Werner Almesberger, who is an
Austrian citizen, transferred these rights to Plaintiff for the
software "msdosfs" on December 12, 2004 (Annex K5)
</unqote>
Purpose of my suggestion is for doing up all the legwork before hand
so that its easier to file for GPL violations when the need arises :)

>  IANAL however, and before you decide to bump
> off Linus Torvalds and then merrily violate GPL on the Linux kernel,
Violate GPL , no way!!!  maybe the tenor of my question made u think so :P

[1] http://www.jbb.de/judgment_dc_frankfurt_gpl.pdf

regards,
Jasbir