    Sandip> Shakthi Kannan wrote:

    >> 1. Enable wireless on laptop with master mode. Disable encryption.
    >> 2. Configure static IP address on the phone, and test ping between
    >> phone and laptop (wireless).
    >>
    >> To forward the requests between the wired and wireless connection, you
    >> will need to enable ip_forward on the laptop:
    >>
    >> sudo echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    >>
    >> and enable NAT operation. For example:
    >>
    >> sudo iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

    Sandip> For this, I would need a separate private network between the
laptop and
    Sandip> the mobile, isn't it? Besides, outside my home, I do not have
control
    Sandip> over the IP space used by the laptop to allocate one to
    Sandip> the mobile.

If you don't prefer masquerading, you can also put your box in bridge
mode (i.e. act as network switch, instead of router) and use DHCP
server running at modem for allocating IP addresses. I assumed your modem
is doing PPP setup and has a DHCP server running. But this will be an
overkill, and plus I'm not aware of how this is going to work with
network profiles, i.e. disable bridging when not in home network. :)

    Sandip> I am also not comfortable using static IP even for testing(I
understand
    Sandip> that it eliminates an unknown during testing), as my mobile is
    Sandip> definitely easier to manage with DHCP.

How about IPv4-LL[1] (169.254/16 addresses) using Avahi[2], which
works fine in absence of DHCP server. It'll work fine in roaming
also. But your mobile phone should be capable of doing negotiation.

    Sandip> Sharing the internet connection on my linux machine is not an
issue. The
    Sandip> additional pointers that I am looking at are mobile/wi-fi specific
    Sandip> issues to watch out for. Connecting without encryption and static IP
    Sandip> addresses is a problem I can solve. What after that?

hostapd[3] for implementing IEEE 802.1X network access control on your
wireless network. I've never setup any hostapd instance, so I'm not sure
if this is going to work or not.

All the best :)