I was running Linux inside virtualbox. Naturally, my choice was
gentoo, since I have been a gentoo fan and know my way around pretty
much.
Based on reviews etc., I decided to try ubuntu. the prime driver was
source code compilation issue in gentoo. Every big package takes hours
to compile! A big headache.
So I thought, why not go to the world of apt-get, and try  "Kubuntu"
(KDE man here).
Well I was able to install, and then completely get lost. I understand
they have dumbed down everything, but I can't seem to get anything to
work.
dpkg-reconfigure xorg, gives me xconfiguration, but I can just set
keyboard etc., there. There is no way to set up my display to
1280x800, like I had in gentoo!
I can manually try mucking around with xorg.conf, but that breaks
things and X itself does not start.
I have come back shaken from ubuntu experience, I think I will go back
to my oldest distro, mandriva, hopefully they will let me retain
enough control!

Did anybody of you who came from "hardcore linux" environment feel
lost in a modern distro?