2010/7/18 Raj Mathur (राज माथुर) <r...@linux-delhi.org>:
> On Sunday 18 Jul 2010, Nagarjuna G wrote:
>> wait for three-four months.  gnowledge.org lab is going to release a
>> web application to do documents, knowledge organisation,
>> presentations, calendar, tasks, spreadsheets, mind maps, concept maps
>> ... .  all of this in plain text.  This project is based on
>> http://orgmode.org.
>
> What will the learning curve be like?  The reason Google Docs and
> similar are so popular is because they offer an interface mostly
> indistinguishable from the document/spreadsheet processing that people
> do on their desktops.  If they have to learn new formatting commands,
> etc. I'm afraid the usage is going to remain limited to people like you
> and me who have Emacs/TeX experience, and who are comfortable using
> plain-text markup.

We are going to do it in two phases:  in the first phase it is ready
for you and me and in the second phase it will have a GUI.

Just as a tinyMCA or such online editors can introduce html tags in
the buffer, it is possible to introduce orgmode and simple markup.

people like you and me can alternatively and optionally edit the text
buffer direclty.  others would use a javascript based editor like
tinyMCA.

> Much as I hate to say this, any viable alternative to Google Docs has to
> present an interface that has a minimal learning curve.  In other words,
> it has to mimic Excel as far as possible; without that, end-users will
> simply not use the service, however good it may be.

Indeed.  the objective of this project is to bring the best of orgmode
and gnowsys to the rest of the non-geeky community.

We need contributions of experts in UI design (Niyam are you listening!)

--
GN