On 13-Nov-10, at 12:39 PM, Raj Mathur (राज माथुर) wrote:
[snip]
He wanted a formula.  He has not got a formula.

Here's a formula:

y = x * 1.0158

Explanation:

I decided to check the ext3 overhead empirically, since I not keen to delve into the resize2fs sources. I've attached a simple python script that I used on a bunch of machines to measure the difference between block device size (reported by /proc/partitions) and fs size (as reported by statfs). It currently reports on all mounted ext2 and ext3 filesystems.

I might be doing something really dumb, but it looks like there is 1.56-58% overhead for almost all ext3 filesystems over 1G in size created with default mkfs flags. It gets higher for smaller filesystems. Note that the journal overhead may not be included in this value.

If anyone gets different values or finds any errors in the attached script I'd appreciate a note.

End of story.

It's kind of a boring story.

-Taj.