Ravi Kumar said on Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 11:14:26PM +0530,:

 > Do you want to manipulate your SMSes and again save to Phone?? It
 > doesn't sound good. You can forward..

How about adding contacts to groups? It is a right royal pain in the
<bleep> to open about 450 contacts manually and add them to 5 or 6
groups. My Nokia 5130 XM, purchased in January 2010 met sudden death
due to a certain Mr. Issac Newton (heh!) last week. From Jan. 2010 to
Dec 2010, I could not finish adding all the contacts to the groups.

This requires that wammu/gammu supports the "enhanced address book"
feature. The phone should allow wammu/gammu / whatever to write such
data to it.

Nokia 5130XM would allow reading, but not writing. One good thing
about this model was that it allowed me to save contacts in Malayalam
(yes, fonts were there in the phone), and it supported Unicode. I had
to open the contact in wammu edit it, (using, for example, a name in
ML) and then save it back to the phone, The phone itself would not
support input methodss for languages other than HI, MR and Gujarati.

Here too, enhanced phone book support was not available.

On a PC, this job (manipulating the address book) would not take more
than one hour. I cannot do that on the cloud. I am really a down to
earth person.

Support for an open format like vcf and dumping it into the memory
card is a saving grace though. I guess emacs will do the editing.

 > Apart from this, what else you want to edit?? If you want to get in
 > deep, try their android development kit, start their remote shell
 > and play with the API.

That would be overkill. I want to learning driving; not automobile
engineering. But the suggestion is welcome. I at least know that I can
pay somebody to do what I want. Whether that will work in reality is
something would like to know.

But, hey, is it possible to do something like remote login from the PC
to the android phone, like, say using wifi or bluetooth, and run an
addressbook editor inside the phone?

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||  http://[paivakil|fizzard].blogspot.com
It's not the software that's free; it's you.