Raj Mathur (राज माथुर) writes:
> On Monday 10 Jan 2011, Linux Lingam wrote:
>> gora is correct.
>> also, have you tried to check the dell's internal circuitry is not
>> causing this problem?
>> depending on the level of hiss, here's a quick workaround:
>>
>> 1. ensure the recording has a few seconds of silence recorded:
>> without voice/music/whatever.
>> 2. open audacity, select this portion, and through the filters menu,
>> look for the 'remove noise' option.
>> the first click will load this pattern as the 'hiss' that has to be
>> elminated. 3. now select the entire track, and again go back to the
>> same filter. clicking it again will eliminate
>> the noise/hiss from the entire track.
>> 4: optional: adjust the EQ to correct other possible problems with
>> the recording's balance of each channel,
>> add salt, pepper, oregano, and other seasonings to taste.

> Thanks for all the advice folks.  Some more background:

> 1. This machine is going to be used for VoIP, so post-facto editing of
> audio isn't possible.  If you know a (say) 1000Hz filter that can be
> implemented at the ALSA level I'd be glad to give it a shot.

> 2. I've tried all settings.  Yes, the hiss (obviously) decreases when I
> push down mic gain.  However, an obvious side-effect of lowering mic
> gain is, you guessed it, voice volume goes down and the person at the
> other end of the line has to strain to make out what I'm saying.

> 3. I've tried recording without a mic attached and the hiss is still
> there, so it's not an impedance mismatch (or whatever other technical
> stuff sound engineers like to bandy about).

> In my view, a properly-configured sound system should not be generating
> hiss from the input at all, at any mic gain value, and this is confirmed
> by running Winduhs on the machine where, lo! the hiss disappears.

> Hence my conclusion that this is purely an ALSA issue and needs to be
> tackled at the ALSA configuration level.

> More advice/offers for help/commercial offers welcome.

Ofcourse you probably have tried this, but let me mention this:

0. Have you tried passing various values for "model" option[1] corresponding
   to your snd-hda-intel chipset (ALC269).

1. Trying with latest ALSA sources 1.0.23 instead of 1.0.21 ?

2. Not ALSA related, how about ditching ALSA and going with OSSv4[2] stack
   which is also getting fairly good support, work great and its mixer is as
   confusing/complex (or maybe more) as ALSA. And ofcourse it's licensed under
   GPLv2 and BSDL, which makes it free software as well.