I migrated my vodafone connection to mtnl in March to get 3g. Apart from the
3g speeds which are really good (I think there's little contention on their
network) it was the worst tech decision I've taken in a long time.
The coverage is terrible, especially when roaming. Many areas of Delhi have
zero coverage, particularly in datacentres.  Calls drop for no, or any
reason. This despite reports that they have the best network hardware.
Rumours abound that execs and engineers are bribed to deliberately degrade
signals and equipment.
But all this pales in comparison to their customer service. That is like
being anally violated. By an angry cactus.
My MNP to idea is in the works.