On Tuesday 27 Sep 2011, Ashish SHUKLA wrote:
> > I’m on a LAN [in office] connected to remote server over SSH [using
> > gnome terminal], now I've to go over for a meeting on another floor
> > along with my notebook. I switch on to mine office WLAN with a
> > descent 90+ signal strength, Network manager shows both
> > connections there as connected. I disconnect my LAN connection and
> > now on WLAN when i try working on the server to which i was
> > connected, the server is not responding to my keystrokes as if the
> > connection broke and i have to make a new connection to the server
> > in order to use it in a new tab. The old connection [the one over
> > LAN ] breaks after some time, with a timeout message.
>
> Do you get the same IP address on both interfaces?

Actually, come to think of it even having the same IP address on both
networks may not work.  Off the top of my head, it would depend on:

1. Whether your NAT provider sees LAN and WLAN packets coming over
different interfaces or the same interface, and

2. Whether your NAT provider is interface-agnostic or not.

If your packets are coming over different interfaces, and the NAT box is
storing the interface as part of the connection meta-data, then even
having the same IP on different networks may not work.

Use screen, $deity's gift to system administrators all over the world!

Regards,

-- Raj
--
Raj Mathur                r...@kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/