PANKAJ KUMAR writes:
> I'm trying to pack a software intp rpm. I have the source code.
> I have source code net-snmp-5.6.1.1.tar.gz
> I used the following commands...
> cd ~
> mkdir net-snmp
> cd net-snmp
> then i made directories SPECS, SRPMS, SOURCES, RPMS, BUILD
> then i copied my source code into SOURCES directory. and put my spec file in
> SPECS directory. This is my net-snmp.spec file.

Unless you really intend to learn RPM packaging, I recommend searching for RPM
or SRPM for your corresponding distribution from rpmfind.net (a good RPM
mirror).

There are some problems with .spec file:

> %define _topdir    /root/net-snmp

1. You should not be using 'root' user to build RPMs.

> %define name       net-snmp
> %define version    5.6.1.1
> Name:  %{name}
> Version: %{version}
> Release: 1
> License: GPL
> Group: Applications/System
> Source: net-snmp-5.6.1.1.tar.gz
> %define buildroot %{_topdir}/%{name}-%{version}-root
> BuildRoot:     %{buildroot}
> Prefix: /usr
> as a distributed database of health and configuration information .
> %description
> This package was originally based on the CMU 2.1.2.1 snmp code.
> It has been greatly modified, restructured, enhanced and fixed.
> It hardly looks the same as anything that CMU has ever released.
> It was renamed from cmu-snmp to ucd-snmp in 1995 and later renamed from
> ucd-snmp to net-snmp in November 2000.
> %prep
> %setup -q
> %build
> ./configure

2. I assume you want to install in /usr (as you define it in "Prefix" above)
   but default ./configure (i.e. without explicit --prefix argument)
   configures it for installation in /usr/local.

Without seeing rpmbuild output it's difficult to say what went wrong. Please
provide the distribution you're doing this on, and your rpmbuild output.

If by any chance, you're packaging for Red Hat or its derivatives, there is an
RPM packaging related document[1] on FedoraProject.org wiki.