On Monday 12 Mar 2012, Raj Mathur (राज माथुर) wrote:
> Google seems to have optimised its pages for wide screens, with a
> toolbar on the left, search results in the middle and previews on the
> right.  Earlier I used to have a Firefox extension called
> "OptimizeGoogle", which would reorganise Google search results to
> only show the results, and remove all the cruft (e.g. the toolbar on
> the left is just a real-estate waste for me 99.99% of the time).
> Unfortunately OptimizeGoogle seems to have stopped development, and
> is not available for FF anymore.
>
> Anyone know a fresh Google extension for FF which would (in
> decreasing order of preference):
>
> - Remove cruft (incl. left toolbar) from Google search results
> - Automagically set 50 results per page
> - Delete Google cookies (or automatically set custom cookies)
> - Add sequence number to results
> - Replace Google search links with links to the actual site
> - Get rid of the preview feature

Hmm, there's another option: switch completely to duckduckgo.com, which
has cruft disabled and privacy enabled by default anyway.  I tested with
a few sample queries and the DDG and Google results seem to be
comparable.  However, the duckduckgo results are beautifully visible in
my 515-pixel-wide browser window, and they stream on scrolling (no more

-- Raj
--
Raj Mathur                          || r...@kandalaya.org   || GPG:
http://otheronepercent.blogspot.com || http://kandalaya.org || CC68