On Monday 23 Jul 2012, Ashish SHUKLA wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 10:22:43 +0530, "Raj Mathur (राज माथुर)" <raju@linux-
delhi.org> said:
> > Can you suggest a utility or web page instructions for installing a
> > pre- built Linux disk image over the network?
> >
> > We have a bare machine with PXE and a server with a Linux disk
> > image. Need the flow to get this image onto the bare machine's
> > disk.
>
> I don't know of anything already available with such functionality
> but it would be cool to build one:
>
> 1. On PXE server side, setup a webserver with images
>
> 2. Compile a kernel (with all drivers for your target hardware) + an
> initrd with /sbin/init which sets up network, fdisk/mkfs's the
> filesystem, "wget -O - http://..../image.tar.xz|xzcat |tar xv"
> everything as per kernel parameters. Or if you're using 'disk
> images', then "wget -O - ....|xzcat|dd if=/dev/stdin
> of=/dev/$device".

You also need to resize partitions to the target sizes after copying the
image.

> 3. Create per client pxelinux.cfg configuration (in case client's
> settings differ from defaults), with something like:
>
>    linux /vmlinuz
>    append initrd=/initrd.gz network=eth0;static;172.16.0.3/27
> img=gentoo-x64 drive=sda
>
> It would be really cool to build something like that yourself :).

Thanks to both you and Saurabh for the suggestions.

And now I'm invoking the ILUGD torture clause: if you suggest something
in public, you are automagically volunteered to do it!  So when can we
expect a first-cut implementation for testing, Ashish? :)

In the meantime I found these, which may be useful starting points.
SystemImager in particular seems well-suited:

http://svn.oscar.openclustergroup.org/trac/oscar
http://wiul.org/
http://kaboot.ainkaboot.co.uk/
http://wiki.systemimager.org/