Raju Mathur said on Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 09:02:00AM +0530,:

 > > Can somebody help me to get my system back as it was earlier.. Or is
 > > there any way to restore my system back?
 >
 > 1. Get a list of permissions of critical files in /etc/ from the 'net, a
 > friend's machine, wherever.

If this is a simple desktop, the easier way out would be a reinstall.

<joke>

 > 2. Boot into root.  I won't tell you how, there are enough pointers on

Will moving #5 above this help??

</J>

Would rephrase as get into rescue mode, and (re)mount / with rw
permissions. That is, assuming Ubuntu boot loader has a rescue option,
which I believe it ought to have.

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||
Man's most judicious trait, is a good sense of what not to believe.