Hi Deepak,
    Could you provide us with more details about your CDROM:
    Brand, Model , IDE/Non IDE?

Rajat

Deepak Bajaj wrote:

> Hey Sandeep
>
> I have tried using 'service autofs stop' command , i
> see a stopped response in the terminal, but still i am
> not able to access the CDROM .Is there any other
> way.Should i replace the CDROM, or recompiling the
> kernel will help.Also how do i recompile the kernel
> making sure that it has the required driver or ATAPI
> interface.
>
> Please advice.
>
> Regards
>
> Deepak
>
> --- Sandip Bhattacharya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Deepak,
> > sometimes autofs(which detects CDs and tries to
> > mount them
> > automatically) causes problems with normal usage of
> > the
> > CDROM. Unfortunately, in redhat systems autofs is
> > enabled by
> > default. Can you disable autofs _before_ accessing
> > the CDROM and see?
> >
> > Normally, this command should work in redhat. Log in
> > as root and enter
> > ------------------------------
> > service autofs stop
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Then try to mount the cdrom and see.
> >
> > If this does not work, try it again in console
> > mode(not in an
> > xterm, not in GNOME or KDE or any GUI). See if the
> > kernel crashes with
> > any message.
> >
> > - Sandip
> >

> > On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 09:21:18PM -0700, Deepak
> > Bajaj spoke out thus:
> > > I have installed Redhat Linux 7.2 on my system.For
> > > some strange reason CD-ROM is not accessible thru
> > > GNOME or KDE.System hangs every time i try to
> > access
> > > the CDROM.I have tried the command mount
> > /mnt/cdrom in
> > > the terminal window, but the system hangs.Is the
> > CDROM
> > > incompatible or it requires some other
> > settings.While
> > > booting OS mounts the CDROM and it works fine
> > during
> > > the installation.
> > >

> > --
> > Sandip Bhattacharya
> > Mindframe Software
> > Work: sandip @ mindsw.com, http://www.mindsw.com
> > Play: sandipb @ bigfoot.com, http://www.sandipb.net

-- - Popi Classification -------------------------------------------------------
Classification applies if checked...
[ ] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to treat everything as if it were a
nail." -- Abraham Maslow
 Rajat Bhatia
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Tel:    +91-124-6307212   Ext 1350