Hi,

Don't you think its high time we made schools realise that BASIC is a
useless language. Anyways, I don't think BASIC would be part of syllabus
prescribed by NCERT.

        3. BASIC interpreter/compilers
                YaBASIC and ScriptBasic
                were two that caught my attention. You can look at these and
others at:
                http://www.allbasiccode.com/links/unix_compilers.html

        In fact we need someone to evaluate /compare available BASIC
interpreters
        for Linux with what is being taught in schools.

BASIC /bay'-sic/ n.

A programming language, originally designed for Dartmouth's experimental
timesharing system in the early 1960s, which for many years was the leading
cause of brain damage in proto-hackers. Edsger W. Dijkstra observed in
"Selected Writings on Computing: A Personal Perspective" that "It is
practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have
had prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally
mutilated beyond hope of regeneration." This is another case (like Pascal)
of the cascading lossage that happens when a language deliberately designed
as an educational toy gets taken too seriously. A novice can write short
BASIC programs (on the order of 10-20 lines) very easily; writing anything
longer (a) is very painful, and (b) encourages bad habits that will make it
harder to use more powerful languages well. This wouldn't be so bad if
historical accidents hadn't made BASIC so common on low-end micros in the
1980s. As it is, it probably ruined tens of thousands of potential wizards.

[1995: Some languages called `BASIC' aren't quite this nasty any more,
having acquired Pascal- and C-like procedures and control structures and
shed their line numbers. --ESR]

BASIC stands for "Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code". Earlier
versions of this entry claiming this was a later backronym were incorrect.

the New Hacker's Dictionary.

Regards,

Venky