> If you still want to do this, then
> 1) Login as root.
> 2) On the prompt, type the commands:
> cd /
> chmod -R 0777 *

Dear Venky,

Thanks for reply. As I am the only user of linux on my PC so giving
permisions for read/write/execute upto my home directory won't create any
problem for me from security point of view. I guess that the above command
is only for read permission or 0777 is also permissible for execution as
well ? pl. guide.

Secondly, one most important thing that I forgot to mention with my earlier
mail (sub:permission denied)  that after installation of linux many people
like me would get a support for their VGA & sound card but not for modem.
Now, in my case to make my modem functional in linux (Make Frontech USB
V.90/56K) I taken recourse to so many linux books/helps as well as help from
ILUGD but of no avail as the driver for linux for this modem is not yet
developed by the manufacturer. If someone buys a modem then most probably
the CD supplied for its driver would be based on windows. At a later stage
when someone develops interest for linux and installs it on his system, he
will feel handicap in absence of the much needed driver for it. Since I have
installed three OSs on my PC, now if I wish to surf the net and I am working
in linux, I will have to shut down it and then switch over to windows which
is quite annoying.

So all I want to say is that keeping in view the above situation, expertise
on ILUGD should specially design a document on "modem trouble shooting in
linux" which will undoubtedly create a interest among non-linux users as
well, am I right ?

Best Regards,
Malkiat
Pl.also reply at : [EMAIL PROTECTED]