Infect, the same has been problem for me.

It seems all the Linux vendor web sites (www.redhat.com, www.suse.com etc)
curb the bandwidth for their distribution via ftp server for non registered
users (read anonymous). When I tried to use mirror servers, it seems they
normally tend to server their local community.

Only this link
ftp://ftp.iso.caldera.com/pub/OpenLinux/3.1.1/Server/OpenLinux-3.1.1-server-CD1.iso
seems to working for me (This is SCO Linux open server).
Now even this distribution of 644 MB will take some time on my DSL
connection.

The download for RedHat 8 (ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub...) was more or less
impossible, it is always full of max anon connection.

Now what ?

One thought comes to me is if efforts can be put together have a mirror
distribution for major vendor for Indian community (Excuse me, if it is
already their).
Secondly, if it is possible to have a private circulation of distribution
CDs for community peoples only.

Regards,
Pritam Pal