hi all,

a colleague raised an important issue.

excise is levied on products manufactured in india.
customs is levied on products not manufactured, and hence imported into india.

thus, the colleague says, software developed in india and sold in india may
get an excise tax levied on it.

and software not developed in india, but imported and sold into india, may
get a customs duty charged on it.

well, what about, say, popular operating systems and desktop and database
applications "developed on an 100% exports basis in india" for a parent firm
abroad, and then sold in india as a desktop or OS package? what about that
special case where the software may be developed across teams around the
world, and for the local indian market, a CD duplication plant creates
packages for the indian market? yet the parent group is headquartered abroad?

my my my, what a can of spaghetti mixed with daal and chawal !

hmmmm.

!
LL