Y Giridhar Appaji Nag wrote:
> Or maybe install Dapper.  A lot of people seem to like it better than
> Edgy because Edgy seems to be a little unstable.

I've been running edgy for quite some time, on my laptop and a cut-down
version of edgy on my server (because edgy ships with the broadcom tg3
gigabit ethernet drivers my server has, dapper unfortunately doesnt)

The only thing I hate about it (and about debian) right now, I guess
isn't my usual pet peeves of debconf etc [whatever key stuff i need, I
configure by hand, debconf isnt getting its hands on my exim or apache
configs]

It is actually this silly insistence of bundling openssl in pool/main
and then compiling exim, apache etc with @%$^%%#^ gnutls because of
"license issues".

Even though gnutls has serious issues with eating entropy like crazy ..
and 2.6 kernels dont gather entropy from the network due to security
issues, only from keyboard / mouse etc input.  Having your box's entropy
(as seen in /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail) drop to 7, 8 etc, and
then having ssl connections to exim and apache start to block overnight
sucks BAD.

The debian faq for the exim4 package then basically says - yes we know
we have issues, debian and upstream are in dire need of people with clue
enough to fix gnutls, but "you should consult your lawyer before
building exim debs with openssl".

<http://wiki.debian.org/PkgExim4UserFAQ#head-5d5b525ab6c432c28f6f083d2967bec703afc7c5>

Grr.

-- 
Suresh Ramasubramanian | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | gpg EDEDEFB9
email sturmbahnfuehrer | lower middle class unix sysadmin

Reply via email to