Il giorno 29/07/15 19.31, "Peter Hall" ha scritto:

> Can I upgrade the video card in this machine, with any standard MXM video
> card or am I stuck with an amd 4670 card from another Imac?

> Cpu upgrade
AFAIK, no CPU or GPU upgrade are possible on an Intel iMac.
I might be wrong, though, so let's wait for someone more tech savvy than me.

> What OS would be the best for this machine to run reasonably quickly?
I have an Early 2009 24" iMac, similar specs to yours.
I'm using 10.6.8 and I find it quite smooth.

I'm staying with 10.6 because:
- I don't like subsequent UI changes.
- 10.6 is the last OSX able to run old PowerPC software (through Rosetta
emulation).

On a different partitition I installed OSX 10.9, too, and on the minimal use
I had with it, it seemed fast enough.
Since OSX 10.9 is free from Apple, you could give it a run and see for
yourself. But I'd try that on a new partition, just in case you will not
like it, and want to go back to 10.6 (without reinstalling everything).

> Currently the mac has 4 gig of ram, but I do
> intend to buy 2 more 2 gig sticks for a total of 8.
More Ram never hurts, but it could be not needed.
I have 4 GB and, with 10.6, I fill it up only when I'm doing lots of stuff
(the whole Adobe CS3 - InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop - Firefox,
Entourage, plus a handful od other apps open).
Newer OSX versions might need more Ram, though.

> Lastly on the top left of the screen there are some dark blotches, its only
> noticeable when there is a white screen.
In this kind of iMacs, there's a slow buildup of dust behind the screen
glass. You see it mostly with uniform pale backgrounds.
To clean that, you need to remove the glass. Here's the right guide, I
think:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2308+Glass+Panel+Repla
cement/1763

> Thanks for reading and I am sorry if my questions seem pedestrian, but I
> have no experience with Imacs.
I just love my Intel iMac, and I think you'll love it too! :-)

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.