Bill, et al,

I hesitate to share my thoughts when such august advice is already there
but I'd like to offer a few suggestions I have found (so far - touch wood!)
work and which are used and commended by many current and long time Mac
users with various OS versions running.

1. *DO NOT BUY ANY SO CALLED VIRUS prevention app* for the Mac! None of
them work and some are themselves Trojan horses of sorts. Also* avoid free
SPAM catchers* - they often send out SPAM and PHISHING Mails to all your
address book contacts without your knowing it and yet show your name as the
source. These are more frequently found on PCs but just take care.

2. *Be very careful of any Cleaner* or so named apps.

3. Get *Etrecheck* from Etresoft.com - its free and does an excellent job
of checking your system and shows a report indicating any problems. Its
author is accessible if you have a problem.

4. Etrecheck includes a Malware filter but also reccommends - as I do
too - *Malware
Bytes* (https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/) which is again free
and does an excellent job speedily checking for any problems that have got
through your gate.

5. *Onyx *(http://www.titanium.free.fr) is a superb and very reliable tool
including all manner of cleaning and reorganising gear.  Again its free and
its authors personally deal with problems and advice requests. Versions for
every OS since 10.3 are available... I have it running on my Pismo and my
MBPs and my other halfs iMac.

I have never heard of anyone having problkems wit the above and indeed
those who use them speak for them as highly as I do myself. Having an
author actually accessible is a real assurance!

One question for our friend and sage at ASU - do you still have your TERAK?

Kind regards and good luck with your new President! Fingers crossed that,
like Brexit which is a pain for us, wisewr counsel will be heard and all
will be well!

Colin Yarwood
Apple User since '77 and still running an Apple ][!

On 19 November 2016 at 07:43, <imaclist@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> imaclist@googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email#!forum/imaclist/topics>
>  Google
> Groups
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email/#!overview>
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email/#!overview>
> Topic digest
> View all topics
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email#!forum/imaclist/topics>
>
>    - Macs and viruses <#m_1115254456221622654_group_thread_0> - 5 Updates
>
> Macs and viruses
> <http://groups.google.com/group/imaclist/t/53c23c327c08ac99?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email>
> Bill Spencer <wspen...@jhu.edu>: Nov 18 06:02AM -0800
>
> Hi there: My wife has lately been getting spam emails, allegedly from her
> email provider, which include links to click to resolve "problems"--you
> know the drill. She has not taken the bait, but when I contacted the
> provider on her behalf to triple-check that her account is still in the
> clear, I got quite a lengthy sales pitch for all sorts of Mac-related
> anti-virus and security stuff that they want us to buy. I have never
> really
> worried about that sort of thing in the past, but times do change and I
> thought I would see what the received wisdom is nowadays about the need
> for
> such programs...and if there *is *a need, what to install. She's on
> 10.10.5
> and I'm on 10.11.something.
>
> (FYI, she does not want to switch email providers, even to save the $100
> or
> so a year, because of the understandable headache of notifying everyone,
> changing her business cards, her website, etc., and needing/wanting to
> keep
> her old messages in one place.)
>
> As always, my thanks in advance!
>
> *****************
>
> Bill Spencer in Maryland
> Older iMac and newer Mini, OS-es as above.
> "Bruce Johnson" <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>: Nov 18 04:13PM
>
> On Nov 18, 2016, at 7:02 AM, Bill Spencer <wspen...@jhu.edu<mailto:wspen
> c...@jhu.edu>> wrote:
>
> Hi there: My wife has lately been getting spam emails, allegedly from her
> email provider, which include links to click to resolve "problems"--you
> know the drill. She has not taken the bait, but when I contacted the
> provider on her behalf to triple-check that her account is still in the
> clear, I got quite a lengthy sales pitch for all sorts of Mac-related
> anti-virus and security stuff that they want us to buy. I have never really
> worried about that sort of thing in the past, but times do change and I
> thought I would see what the received wisdom is nowadays about the need for
> such programs...and if there is a need, what to install. She's on 10.10.5
> and I'm on 10.11.something.

> [...]

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.