Bill Janssen wrote:
> You could do it the way that I do it.

or even easier:

>> I guess I
>> had to download a MacPython in order to make Python work on my system.
>
> First of all, Python comes pre-installed on your Mac.

It does, but it's an old version, and somewhat broken in some subtle
ways. Unless you have a really slow net connection, there is no reason
not to upgrade, and upgrading will get you access to binary packages
that should "just work".

Go to:
http://pythonmac.org/packages/py25-fat/index.html

download the python and PIL disk images, double click on them, and away
you go. It really is that easy.

> This way I can avoid getting tangled up with Fink or DarwinPorts or
> one of the other systems that purport to make it "easier" to install
> software on a Mac.

I agree -- fink is kind of all or nothing, and if you want to write GUI
apps for OS-X with Python (and not use X), you can't use fink.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

[EMAIL PROTECTED]