Hi
When making a simple app displaying animated GIFs I noticed many images did
not look like they should when using PIL to load them. As I had nothing
better to do I started to try to figure out what was wrong. I ended up
making an own pure-python GIF-loader, which worked just like it should (like
firefox), but was quite slow. GIF is an interesting format.

The good thing was that I now understood how GIF-files worked, more or less,
and I managed to patch PIL to work the same way. The problems had to do with
palettes and transparency in animations.

The patch is attached. I don't know if I've done everything as it should be
done, but it works for all images I've tested.
I haven't tested saving GIFs with it, but there should be no difference I
think.

/ Sam Persson