Hi there

I've written a script which converts around 20000 TIFF images to PNG images
everyday. The PIL module takes to long and I'm therefore using Imagemagick
to perform the conversion. My problem is I need to compress the tiff as much
as possible. The best I can do is get a 60kb TIFF Image to around a 100kb
PNG image. I can get it down an extra kb or 2 by running it through PNGCrush
but this takes way too long. The best command I can come up with is

convert img.tif -monochrome +matte -depth 8 -quality 100 img.png

-rw-r--r-- 1 jeffreyva jeffreyva 59328 2007-08-02 12:09 img.tif
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:$ time convert img.tif -monochrome +matte -depth 8
-quality 100 img.png

real    0m7.041s
user    0m6.664s
sys     0m0.160s

-rw-r--r-- 1 jeffreyva jeffreyva 99340 2007-08-02 12:10 img.png

Has anyone worked with any utilities or has been successful in converting a
TIFF image to a PNG which is almost the same size as the original TIFF?
Look forward to hearing from anyone.

Thanks

Jeffrey van Aswegen