Never mind. It looks like the problem I was having was based on some
code running with one Tk() interpreter, and some other code running in
another. This can happen fairly easily and cause problems in IDLE when
run with subprocesses. The solution was to make sure that objects
created (whether in the shell or in code) use the same root.

-Doug