Hi Laszlo,

Isn't this the way it should work? The alpha value of a pixel is treated
the same way as any other channel. When a pixel is half covered by a
shape, PIL wil draw 50% of the foreground and 50% of the background. In
your case: a green shape 0, 255, 0, 255 (rgba) and background 255, 0, 0,
0. If you take the average of the two you come up with R=128 in the
pixel and will be visible for 50% A=128. Isn't this the desired effect?
And if it would be a color? Don't you want the same to happen?

The solution? Render the shape on a 0,0,0,0 background. No red will be
added, your half filled pixel with a correct alpha value will blend with
new backgrounds as it is supposed to. You can save this image in various
ways for later use.

Just my thought... and i hope it helps.
Greetings,

Coen