Eric, thanks for your help!

as a matter of fact, I found
HKLM\Software\Ipswitch\IMail\Global\ScanInstalled set to 0.

now I need to restart the services to have the server running.

this is what I wrote in the scheduled batch file:

@echo off
echo ------------------------------ >> C:\SYMCScan\CSLIVE.LOG
echo Run date >> C:\SYMCScan\CSLIVE.LOG
date /t >> C:\SYMCScan\CSLIVE.LOG
echo at >> C:\SYMCScan\CSLIVE.LOG
time /t >> C:\SYMCScan\CSLIVE.LOG
cmd /c C:\SYMCScan\cslive.exe /silent >> C:\SYMCScan\CSLIVE.LOG
@echo run complete. >> C:\SYMCScan\CSLIVE.LOG

anyway I could not understand the reason for which the registry key was set
to 0... nobody has ever changed this value, I'm quite sure..

my question is, do you think this can happen again? maybe liveupdate changed
this value? ..mmm... I hope it didn't..

bye
marco