before deleting or inactivating them, hide them from info services which will at least
make them not show during a query.

Also, there are entries in the person.dta file for inactive accounts as well even
after initing LDAP.

What I have done is created a bat file that reads the person.dta and creates a file in
ldaper format based on active users(not ones hidden from info services). Then, when I
need to, I do an INIT and then run the batch process to repopulate the LDAP file with
the correct attributes. The INIT though does add inactive accounts to the person.dta.

One other thing, since we are not an ISP, we don't delete accounts right away because
of address books and such. We inactivate them and set an info manager to reply to and
e-mails sent to inform the sender to update their address books so they don't end up
getting messages stuck in the outbox.  We physically delete the account about 6 months
later. Of course we still have the problem because people do not update their address
books but every little bit helps...

bob