-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dev
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 1:15 AM
To: Christopher Jones
Subject: Re: [IMail Forum] Imail & SMSSMTP Issue

We had a similar combo setup (IMail/SMSSMTP) for about
a year prior to finally switching to Merak. The combo
worked OK, but inability to handle dictionary attacks
and lack of flexibility ultimately killed it.

Two things to look carefully at:

1. Double check your local DNS config. SMSSMTP relies
solely on Windows internal network settings for
determining the DNS server it will use for Name
Resolution. Also check your HOSTS file to make sure it
doesn't have to do a lookup to find the Imail box.

2. I found SMSSTMP to be extremely uppity about host
name agreement. Not sure exactly how, but here is some
interesting behavior that may relate to your issue:
Because our SMSSMTP host name (set during SMSMTP
program install) did NOT match that of the underlying
windows server name, SMSSMTP admin web logins ALWAYS
took 6-12 seconds (while the non-matching name failures
timed-out) before displaying the status page. Our
second MX DID have the same name as the host, and admin
logins were always instantaneous. (No time-out problem
on our VMWARE test boxes where the name agreed,
either.) Since your issues started after a SMSSMTP
rename, I'm very suspicious that your prob may somehow
relate to some weird extended SMSSMTP processing
timeout issue stacking up open connections.

Good luck!

Dev