On Thu, 2 Jul 2009, Andrew Daviel wrote:
I ran out of disk space this morning, and dmail broke the index files on several of my inboxes.

This surprises me. The code specifically expands the index and status files by the space needed, and makes sure that it can write that space, before any update.

Look, for example, at the section of code with comment "need to write additional space?" in mix_index_update and mix_status_update. All subsequent writes in both routines are overwriting data which has already been successfully written.

Subsequent access with dmail or Pine gave "Oversize mix status record"

Status record would be the status file, not the index file.

Did you look at the file in question? What was the oversize data? If it was a bunch of nulls, that would be from the expansion code.

Ideally, dmail should fail gracefully.

It's supposed to, yes.

Note to self - make quite sure we don't run out of space.

A good idea in any case.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc