On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Shawn Walker wrote:
I have an issue that I would like to tell c-client to flush it's cache since I don't want it to keep headers, body of the messages, etc for 20,000 messages since it take up a lot of memory.

Either mail_free_cache() or use short caching (OP_SHORTCACHE mode of open).

mail_free_cache wouldn't be the ideal function to call since that wipe out the list of known messages on the server and cannot download any known messages that I want to download (headers only or just the body of the message or the attachments).

I have no idea what you mean by this. I have repeatedly read what you wrote, and I can not make any sense of that combination of words.

Would be ideal that once I have what I wanted downloaded I want c-client to free all of the memory for that message before I go on to the next message.

That sounds like short caching, but unless you are running on MS-DOS in 640K, short caching is a very bad idea. UW stopped using short caching about 10 years ago since it is so horribly inefficient.

If you want to download without going through caching, you can set up a mailgets function for that purpose.

If you just want to download messages to a local copy, why are you using IMAP at all? POP would be better for download. If you want to do interactive access, then you want full caching.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.