On Wed, 5 May 2010, Paul Vixie wrote:
of course.  but my primary mail interface is emacs mh-e and i'm not going
to abandon it, nor the many filters and cronjobs and tools i've based on MH,
just to support my secondary need to open attachment-containing messages in
an IMAP client.  i fully understand that i do not represent a growing segment
of the mail market.  as before, i'm thankful that uw-imap supports MH at all.

Have you thought about making mh be an IMAP client?  You might need to
have some sort of proxy daemon to keep state, since IIRC mh is actually
a set of programs invoked from the shell.  I don't know if your other
tools use the mh programs, or if they separately know about the mh layout.

With mh-e, you ought to be able to make it babble IMAP protocol and keep
your interface.

Doing that would make it possible to move your mail to any IMAP provider;
which you may not want to do but at least you have the option.

whatever sold the most iron was the corporate mantra of that moment.  the
people who say "just use Exchange" today are cut from that same cloth.

Yeah.  There's a lot of that!  ;)

i may try to add MH support to Dovecot so
that i won't have to maintain a fork of the uw-imap abandonware nor use a
non-open codebase (Panda).

Another alternative is to join the re-alpine project on sourceforge.  UW
IMAP is part of re-alpine, so technically there already is an open
codebase fork.  I don't think that the re-alpine people have done much, if
anything, in the IMAP part; so they would welcome your contributions.

I haven't decided about opening Panda IMAP.  The issue is, as it always
has been, funding to support any work other than my own personal use.
There's only one task remaining that I personally need in Panda IMAP;
anything else that I do is at someone else's request.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc