On 03/03/2010 03:53 PM, Davide Alberani wrote:
> I'm taking into consideration a switch to mercurial (or maybe git, but
> mercurial seems a little easier on the command line and for our needs
> it will be more than enough).

I use mercurial for all my projects and I'm quite happy with it. But my
projects are one-man, small-scale projects, so I don't feel proficient
to comment on this.

When I was looking at distributed VCS's at the time, the main issue
people complained about in git was its lack for Windows support. Its
commands were also a bit complicated for my taste. In fact, among the
ones I've tried, I had found Darcs to be the simplest but I couldn't
find a Darcs hosting site.

> I'm doing some experiments and it looks easy to preserve the
> commit history of SVN.

I tried importing the commit history of IMDbPY into mercurial several
months ago and it seemed to run smoothly.

> PS: info about sourceforce support for mercurial:
>   http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Mercurial#Access

I can't say why exactly at the moment but I remember that I didn't like
the facilities on SF in terms of hosting a mercurial repository.
Bitbucket seemed to me as the much better choice (I have a few projects
there) but I don't know if changing the repository hosting for IMDbPY
would make sense.

In short, I wouldn't prefer git but I could learn it if need be. Other
than that, between svn and mercurial, either way is fine with me.

--
H. Turgut Uyar <u...@itu.edu.tr> [GPG KeyID: 0xEAF45FB8]
http://www3.itu.edu.tr/~uyar/