On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 15:12, Emmanuel Tabard <m...@webitup.fr> wrote:
> Hi !
>
> Your sql schema misses a few essentials indexes :
>
>  - title.imdb_id
>  - title.episode_nr
>  - title.season_nr
>
>  - name.imdb_id
>
> You maybe don't need those indexes :)

Yep, I kept the indexes at the minimum... maybe too much. :-)

> I just wanted to know if you're ok pulling this upstream. In the other case
> I'll maintain a patch on my side !

No problems at introducing them, but... would not it be easier if you just join
the IMDbPY project? :-P
If it's ok for you, give me your sourceforge and bitbucket usernames, and
I'll grant you write permission to the repository.
It's ok even if you don't really have much time to dedicate to it: when
you need something, just ask to me (to be sure that it will not create some
strange problems that only me can know) and commit. :-)

Point is, IMDbPY was always a playground, for me (come on... we didn't
REALLY need to support both SQLObject and SQLAlchemy ORMs ;-) and I'm not
an expert on databases.

On the db, actually, I'd like to see this work done:
1. an overall evaluation of the current status: is the structure still
valid/meaningful?
   (keeping in mind that many choices were due to performance reasons - maybe
   with wrong assumptions on my side).
2. introduce indexes/foreign keys were needed.
3. analyze if it's possible to get rid of the movie_info_idx tables:
it's exactly
    the same as movie_info, but it contains only the rating information, and
    more indexes are created on them (point is: does creating these indexes
    for movie_info really waste so much spaces that it's not worth, or was it
    all in my head? ;-)

--
Davide Alberani <davide.alber...@gmail.com>  [PGP KeyID: 0x465BFD47]
http://www.mimante.net/