Hi Philip,
I've thought about it many times, and I don't think it can be done,
especially not with good performances.

Those diffs are just normal, unix-style, patches.  Many times the
reference to the movie/person/character/company a changed line
refers to is completely missing, and you should apply it to the
complete file and analyze it just to know which entry to update.
From there, you should find the match in the db, which is another
complex task and decide to add/update/delete the data.

Just to download and apply the diff files to an existing sets
of files, you may try the applydiffs.sh and download_applydiffs.py
scripts in the docs/goodies directory.

HTH,

Davide Alberani <davide.alber...@gmail.com>  [PGP KeyID: 0x3845A3D4AC9B61AD]
http://www.mimante.net/