>but now I need to deliver to a different host if 1.2.3.4 is not
>available - just like a secondary MX record.
>
>Will transport work with two entries like:
>example.com  smtp:[1.2.3.4]
>example.com  smtp:[9.8.7.6]
>and fail over to the second if the first is not available.

I don't think that will work, postmap will insist on only one, the
first one, and complain not-fatally about duplicate.

>If not, any ideas on how can this be setup? These hosts may
>not be in the same location and may even be split between
>Private IPs and Public IPs.

resolution via will bring the traffic to IMGate and then be resolved
in transport.map:

example.com  smtp:mxx.yourchoice.com

postfix will query DNS for mxx.yourchoice.com.  Without the [domain]
brackets, postfix queries for the MX records.

from man 5 transport:

"The  interpretation of the nexthop field is transport dependent. In the
        case of SMTP, specify a service on a non-default port as  host:service,
        and disable MX (mail exchanger) DNS lookups with [host] or [host]:port.
        The [] form is required when you specify an IP  address  instead  of  a
        hostname."

Then you choose yourchoice.com under your DNS control:

mxx.yourchoice.com mx 5  a.somewhere.com
                       10 b.somewhere.com
etc

1.somewhere.com. A ip.ad.re.s1.
2.somewhere.com. A ip.ad.re.s2.

I haven't done this, but that's how I would try it.

Len