>Does that mean then there is no way to play  nicer with my internal mail =
>server so this particular message could be sent back to the sender on the =
>1st attempt? =20

you can comment out "reject_unverified_recipient" and all
undeliverable msgs will pile up postfix queue, cause postfix to
generate a non-delivery msgs back to the sender.  just more work for
postfix for no advantage.

>What the support folks for our new server say is Postfix is responding in =
>such a way as if to say 'Try again later'.

no, bad recipient now is bad recipient later. postfix received a 5xx
fatal code from the remote MX, meaning do not try again later.

>  We'll this message is never =
>going through. Can I set Postfix so, in a situation like this, it will =
>convey the 'return to sender' message instead?

That's job of the backend server when it can't deliver (to postfix).

>I would think incorrect emails are a fact of life

good thinking!  :)

>, I'd just like my =
>teacher to know they  entered it incorrect today, not 5 days from today.

postfix rejects immediately, the sending mailserver which sees the
bounce should also immediately generate a non-delivery msgs back to the sender.

Len