Thank you so much for this information! It turned out that your suggestion worked. On Ubuntu 12.04 with Dovecot, I did...

Add this to /etc/dovecot/conf.d/20-imap.conf

  mail_plugins = $mail_plugins acl imap_acl

Add this part to /etc/dovecot/conf.d/15-lda.conf

protocol lda {
  # Space separated list of plugins to load (default is global mail_plugins).
  mail_plugins = $mail_plugins acl sieve
}

Added this to /etc/dovecot/conf.d/90-acl.conf

plugin {
  acl = vfile:/etc/dovecot/global-acls:cache_secs=300
}

Created this directory...

/etc/dovecot/global-acls

Added this file to the directory and the contents..

$ cat Archive
anyone lrwsipk
$

I then setup Horde/IMP to move messages to Archive when deleted.

Thanks again for the hints and getting me on track!!!

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slus...@horde.org>:

Quoting Michael Wisniewski <wisniew...@mwiz.org>:

I was wondering if anybody knows if you can Archive mail instead of Deleting it. For now, I just have the delete move messages to an "Archive" folder, but I would feel better if I can prevent those messages from being wiped out by accidental clicks.

You should use IMAP ACLs to prevent expunging messages in that mailbox (remove 'e' right; might want to remove 't' right also so that messages can't even be flagged as deleted).

In IMP 6.1, you can set these ACL flags on a mailbox even if your underlying IMAP server doesn't support ACLs natively.

michael