Quoting Andy Dorman <ador...@ironicdesign.com>:

On 08/27/2014 02:09 PM, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
Quoting Jens Pranaitis <pranai...@phil.hhu.de>:

FYI to others: this turned out to be a bug with Debian (and Ubuntu's)
PHP package.  Namely, the JSON-C package is broken.  Very frustrating
since there is nothing wrong with *PHP's* JSON decoding code.

Could you elaborate on this? Is this
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=687269 ? I think I'm
seeing the same issue with some users loading messages from search
results.

Debian has an issue with the line "Use this software for good, not evil"
in the source code for the PHP JSON code.  (This is real.  I am not
making this up.)  So they replaced this stable code that works perfectly
fine with a replacement that is broken in several areas - mainly dealing
with null characters.  We use null characters a bunch in IMP data for
technical reasons I won't go into here.  So Debian ships with broken
JSON code with known bugs (which, I should mention, have been known for
a year and *still* aren't fixed).

Well the issue is not quite that simple and Debian isn't the only distro that has a problem with a "morality" clause in software.

This has been covered before. Regardless of what anyone feels personally/morally about the clause, *legally* the clause causes no substantial issues - or at least no more substantial issues than any other supposed "free" license.

I really don't care that Debian gets the whole legal argument wrong. Whatever - that pissing contest is not my idea of intellectual stimulation.

What I do care is that they ship BROKEN software that claims to be PHP, when it really isn't. In other words: "Debian PHP 5.x.y" !== "PHP 5.x.y".

michael