Citeren Arjen de Korte <build+ho...@de-korte.org>:

Just recently, I noticed thumbnails for PDF attachments now show as a black questionmark on a white background. Other attachments (JPG files for instance) still show correct thumbnails, so I guess the imagick PECL extension is still doing its job.

imp = 6.2.22
Horde_Core = 2.31.6
Horde_Pdf = 2.0.7
php7-imagick = 3.4.3
ImageMagick = 7.0.8

Am I the only one where this seems to be broken?

Answering to myself: it turns out the distribution I use (openSUSE Tumbleweed) nowadays ships with a policy.xml file for ImageMagick that prevents reading PDF files. Changing the policy from 'none' to 'read' fixed the generation of thumbnails.