On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Frederik Ramm <[email protected]> wrote: > Hi, > > Ian Dees wrote: >> >> I think this is a great first step towards a "merging/importing toolkit". >> A shapefile reading and rendering plugin for JOSM would be extremely nice to >> have and was the original intention of my shp-to-osm code. > > ... as long as we make absolutely sure nobody can simply hit "load shape" > and then "upload to OSM". The thing I like about Potlatch is that the mapper > must (!) copy each element individually.
Let's be fair - the potlatch2 vector background layers aren't there for "I've got a shapefile of an entire country, how can I add this to OSM in a tedious fashion?" type situations. The intention is to help mappers who may have access to additional sources of data - in addition to imagery, raster maps and GPS data - and who want to use them to aid their mapping sessions in one way or another. Transferring information (geometries, attributes) from VBLs into the OSM layer is rudimentary at the moment but can certainly be used as assistance when editing. I'd like to see the discussions head more towards "how can we use shapefiles as an additional background aid" rather than "how do we import them wholesale", and for my part I'm working on potlatch2 to enable this. The recent work on making background raster layers location-sensitive is something that I'd like to expand on for vector layers - I'd quite like e.g. when editing in the US to have at least the option of viewing tiger/state/USFS shapefiles as a reference background without anyone needing to rasterise them first. Cheers, Andy _______________________________________________ Imports mailing list [email protected] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports
